Back to the Hill

October 18th, 2012 lmbutt16

We’re back!  It felt so relieving and comforting to be back on campus.  Being home was nice and all, but I missed my friends more than I imagined I could after having known them for only 5 short weeks.  Everyone came back at different times, whether by

train or plane or car, helping each other carry in massive supplies of food and warm winter gear, and we all reunited for dinner (and to do all of the homework we avoided while home.)  The only thing I’m worried about is how I’m going to bring everything back to New York in May when the semester is over!  I must have brought just as much up this week as I did when I moved in in August.  A girl needs her shoes!

I had my horseback riding lesson already this week.  It felt good to be back in the saddle.  I’ve ridden a cute white pony named Jack a few weeks in a row now, and we’re getting better (or rather I’m relearning everything slowly but surely).  Horseback riding really isn’t like anything else.  There was an instructor who taught her students at the barn I boarded my horse at back home for a while, and she once said, “If you have the horse-bug, you have it.  It’s going to last your whole life.”  As far as I’ve been able to tell so far, she was absolutely right.

Plus, the car ride there is an escape from college work and being constantly surrounded by people.  It’s nice to always have the company (I could come back from class to find five or six friends sitting around in my room), but I don’t mind the twenty minutes with the radio and the lack of crowds.  There’s also the bonus of getting out of Worcester and seeing the surrounding area, even if it’s only a little piece of it.  The leaves are in the middle of changing colors, so the countryside is painted in oranges, reds, yellows, and bright greens.  There’s an old stone church that we pass on the way, right on the edge of the water, with the hills and colors for a backdrop.  It’s beautiful, and every week the scene looks new because of the season.  I can’t wait to see what it might look like in the snow.

Hope you’re all well and dreaming in purple!

Always,

L

LiAnn Butterfield '16