Spirit (The Purple and the Halloween Kind)

November 3rd, 2012 lmbutt16

Time passes so quickly on the Hill!  Two weeks ago, a friend from Albany came to visit (it was really easy to get to the train station and work everything out, so be sure to invite all your friends up for a weekend when you get here!)  Then last weekend, it was Parent’s Weekend. My parents drove up from New York (with even more unnecessary supplies for me/my room packed) to stay for the weekend and go around campus.  They took me out to eat at Via (an incredible Italian Restaurant right in Worcester, only ten minutes or so from campus.)  I ordered spaghetti with vodka sauce and it was absolutely beyond delicious.  For dessert I got a canola (you should too!)  That night was Casino night, with a Mardi Gras theme.  Hogan Ballroom was decorated with giant masks and beads everywhere!  There were live student performers as well, with whom I was genuinely impressed.  There were receptions, concerts, and other events for the parents.

The week was a little crazy considering Hurricane Sandy!  Holy Cross went into lockdown on Monday starting at 2pm and lasting until Tuesday morning around 10.  Luckily, this was just a precaution, and everyone was fine.  We didn’t even lose power, and I have yet to hear about any flooding.  The wind and rain was crazy outside, though.

Classes resumed on Wednesday (Halloween!) Plenty of people were dressed up and enjoying the holiday.  A lot of people went out in costume that night with their friends.  The dorms and various buildings were decorated.  Kimball even had a Halloween “Spooky” theme.  Before we knew it, it was the weekend.

Today was the last home football game (against Lehigh).  Unfortunately, we lost by one point.  But on the other hand, it was senior day, so everyone was pretty happy and excited.  All of the seniors’ names were read out, and they were given flowers and got to walk on the field with their parents.  For our Cheer seniors, we made scrapbooks in which each team member wrote a letter to the respective captain.  I can’t imagine being in my senior year, seeing everything ending and doing things for the last time. It’s been a really great season.  Now on to basketball!

Hope you all fared well through the storm!

Always,

L

LiAnn Butterfield '16