Countdown…

August 16th, 2014 lmbutt16

Hi again everyone!  I hope all your summers have been going well. It’s almost time to check back into Holy Cross.

Summer went by really fast. I can’t believe we go back in just a few weeks.  I will be going back a few days early for cheer, to have a mini “pre-season” of sorts.  We’ll try to whip back into shape to perform our best at all the fall games, which will be coming up fast once school starts.  That means lots of practice, and of course bonding.  One of the nice things about moving in early for cheer is that it means we don’t have to compete with 50 other people trying to lug car loads of clothes, rugs, tvs, and books, onto the dorm floor. And we have a few extra days to settle in (and procrastinate at unpacking).

I will also be continuing with the Equestrian Team.  Admittedly, I didn’t ride over the summer, so those first few lessons are going to be rough, but I’ll be glad to be back in the saddle.

I’m looking forward to classes. I somehow managed to put myself in a really odd scheduling situation.  I will only have class on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.  At first glance that seems like an overload, but then I remember that I took three classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays last semester too, and it wasn’t so bad, and now I have just one on Wednesdays instead of two on Mondays and Wednesdays and one on Fridays (which was my schedule then.) I have one of my favorite professors again this semester which I’m pretty excited about. And of course I’m excited to meet and learn from more of the English department, that I hadn’t yet.

One last thing to mention.  Matt, along with another student Cindy, started a club on campus, called Holy Cross Food Nation. I’m not sure if I mentioned it already, but as a refresher, it’s a group to promote dialogue about the social issues surrounding food, and encourage conversation, since often times people don’t pause to think about what they’re eating.  Matt is interested in why certain cultures eat certain ways, and the history behind it, for one example. I personally am a vegetarian and interested in the aesthetics of food more so.  Matt and Cindy also worked over the summer as a part of the Mellon research program towards establishing an on campus community garden.  Matt’s blog (www.eatingcompanion.com) tracks their progress and findings, so if you have a minute, why not check it out?

Maybe I’ll be seeing some of you on campus soon? To everyone just beginning to explore colleges and Holy Cross among their options, welcome and good luck!

Always,

L

LiAnn Butterfield '16