Happy Holidays!

January 4th, 2015 lmbutt16

Hey everyone,

It’s been such a busy month!  Time continues to fly by incredibly fast.  I can’t believe I’m more than halfway done with my college life.  It’s both thrilling and terrifying, the idea of making a life of my own and entering the working world.

The end of the semester finished up smoothly.  I was nervous about my final exams (I had two, in my English readings classes) because it felt like there was so much to remember, and I was worried I’d need to know more specific details rather than ideas to build upon.  But, the reason why I chose English as a major proved itself yet again, and the finals went much better than I was hoping.  I could tell that my teachers really wanted us to do well, because the tests were designed to let us show what we know and what we’ve learned, more so than just what the teacher’s own opinion is.  Now I’m waiting for the textbook list to be posted for next semester, so I can start bargain hunting for books, and thinking about what I’m going to be reading and studying.

Our finals ended a bit later than last year, so there wasn’t much time between getting home and Christmas (I still haven’t finished unpacking).  One of my oldest and closest friends (Maura) and her sister (Katie) came up to stay with us for Christmas and a few surrounding days.  Maura and I were adopted from the same orphanage in Shanghai, China, and our parents went through the same adoption agency to get us, which is how we came to know one another.  After they left, I headed up to Poughkeepsie to visit Matt, and spent New Year’s Eve at our friend Michaela’s house, near Albany.  It was a lot of driving to do in such a short period of time, so I’m glad to be grounded at home for a while now.

I’ve started thinking about what exactly I’m going to do after graduation.  As of now, my plan is to take both the GRE and the LSAT (probably more than once) and then to apply to both Creative Writing MFA programs, and law school, and see what happens.  I’m sort of hoping that it becomes obvious as I go along (although it probably won’t.)

Anyways, now it’s time to go think about the more fun aspects of growing up (ie apartments, pets, holidays, etc.).  See you all soon!

Always,

L

LiAnn Butterfield '16